Sunday, June 7, 2009

A sunny day...or is it?

Most people look at the weather forecast or look out their window and think "How wonderful, it's going to be a nice, warm, sunny day!"

I, however, check the weather forecast and look out my window and think "Great, another hot, sunny day with no cloud cover?!"

Why do I sound so gloomy about a weather forecast of 83 and mostly sunny?! Because I have MS and these type of days are just plain aweful! I want to stay inside my nice cool apartment and not even attempt to face the sun. I know that there is a lot of information out there about how the sun is soooo good for your health with the Vitamin D that it gives you, but when it makes you tired, sticky (when it's humid) and dizzy....not so exciting anymore! I'd rather get my Vitamin D from a pill than go outside and face that!

As I was driving in the heat yesterday morning (and yes, it was already hot by 10 AM), I began to ponder some questions (since I'm a curious person) - Do other people with MS hate the summer as much as I do? Do other people with MS just want to hide from the sun like I do? What is the best climate and/or place to live when you have MS?

When I arrived back home, I sat down at my computer and started a search for the answer to the last question, what his the best climate and/or place to live when you have MS? - I did not find what I was hoping for....the answer. What I did find was several places where people had discussed this question and what I found was.....the statement that there isn't one exact place to live that is going to keep your MS in check. For some, warmer environments seem to help (Arizona being one that was mentioned a couple times). For others, areas like the Pacific Northwest seem to be better. Another person mentioned that they felt the best place to live regardless of your ailment would be San Diego, CA. What I found was that, as with everything associated with MS, it all depends on the person that has MS and what their symptoms are.

For me, I currently live in Colorado and am not sure it is the best place for me to live. The reason I feel this way is because there is very little Spring and Fall, but rather, many months of Winter and Summer. I recall living in Washington state as a child and have fond memories of the rainy, cool weather. Now that I am an adult, I would love to move back to Washington state simply based on those fond memories, but as a friend pointed out, there is no guarantee that would be better for my health. So....after thinking about what this friend said, I have decided that I would like to go visit Washington state on a vacation to sort of "test" the climate and see if it is, in fact, better for me than Colorado.

For now, I am staying right here in Colorado and not looking forward to this summer, but will make the best of it.

Until next time....

~Hope~

No comments:

Post a Comment